Realizing how much the Lord loves us with the help of our daily devotional - Jesus Calling by Sarah Young

Friday, September 17, 2010

you will NOT find peace by engaging in excessive planning!


Amen!

I'm pretty sure I could leave the title as-is and call it a day on this one. Why is it that this truth is so common, so needed, yet so sticky and hard to swallow? Like the peanut butter that gets caught at the top of your mouth, we have every intention of swallowing it so it forms our souls but sometimes it just gets stuck at the top.

In the craziness of this season with my job I have a tendency to multi-task beyond my capabilities, commit to too many engagements, and plan tomorrow while still feeling dizzy by the tasks of today. One prayer has helped as of late to keep my mind, body and soul focused on what's really necessary...

"Holy Spirit, be my clock. Holy Spirit, be my to-do list."

It dawned on me one morning while writing in my journal that the days I live closest to the Spirit I get more accomplished than I would've if I completely depended on myself, and not only did I accomplish these tasks- they were God-breathed and Spirit-orchestrated! On those days I stop and realize the wonder of 'today', I look at people like they matter, and I listen more intently (not just to others but for promptings from His Spirit.) Those days make me ask myself "why don't I live EVERY day like this?"

I'll tell you why, because I'm a sinner. I'm broken and fallen and need help! There are so many days that start out with the purest of intentions that soon fall victim to the hurried life the devil loves to throw at us. So while I'm going through airports today on the way to my college roommate's wedding, and deciding what outrageously expensive food item to purchase, I'm going to stop- take in one of those LIFE GIVING BREATHS Jaymee was talking about, and sip in God's peace (perhaps in the form of a Chai Tea Latte).

He has come to give us peace. We will have trouble. But what do we do? TAKE HEART. For He has overcome every trouble, every trial, every plan... He has overcome the world.

AMEN.

2 comments:

  1. This seemed like an A+ sermon or something, Kris!! What a beautiful description of all of our lives. Praise God for the grace that He gives us. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to steal your daily prayer.

    ReplyDelete