Realizing how much the Lord loves us with the help of our daily devotional - Jesus Calling by Sarah Young

Monday, August 16, 2010

Why Do Bad Things Happen?

I hadn't really thought of that question before in my life. Sure, things were difficult sometimes but on the average of what people have to deal with here on earth, my life has been practically perfect in every way. I haven't experienced true loss, true suffering, true loneliness. So you can imagine my difficulty in trying to represent our Lord well while being asked this very question by a friend: "Why do bad things happen to good people?" Even if you take out the 'to good people' suffix it's still a terribly hard question to answer. God loves us. He wants the best for us. So why do people die before they've experienced a full life? Why do bad things happen?

I don't know the answer to that. It pains me that I can't help my friend understand our Heavenly Father more but I can't imagine ever knowing that answer. God knows - that's reason enough for me.

Adversity need not interrupt your communion with Me. When things go "wrong," you tend to react as if you're being punished. Instead of this negative response, try to view difficulties as blessings in disguise.

You know what? I don't think I should lead with that when talking with my friend. Sure it is a great outlook to have when things are going well - but not something you want to hear when you find out terrible, tragic, heart breaking news. We don't know what blessings will come out of tragedy. The only thing I find hope and rest in is the fact that God knows what He's doing. He's bigger than us. And I love Him for that.

Sorry for the downer blog post! Need some cheering up or inspiration of the fact that God is GREAT? Check out these photos and make sure to read the synopsis before! :)

Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Katie!! Great post & this is a hard question for anybody to understand, let alone someone who wonders at God's very existence. You've done a great job at summarizing how you answer this question for yourself, but are smart enough to understand that this answer won't help sort out your friend's feelings.

    I loved Rochelle & Bobby's engagement photos...then noticed a link at the bottom of the comments section - their wedding photos are posted! So cute, such fun ideas for a wedding where children were what brought them together.

    Love you -

    ReplyDelete