Sarah's posting has my name inscribed in its margin. Really. My thought life is often consumed with regrets of the past, or fear of the future.
"I should have"s or "Why did I"s cloud my perception of the life I've lived, day by day, moment by moment.
Just today, I was walking slowly (oh-so-slowly) down the sidewalk with little Mary Addison (13-month-old angel I nanny for) pushing her walker. She's so close to walking, and loves to practice outside with her push-toy/walker. I went back in time to when my own kids were at this same stage, hoping against hope that I was able to be patient enough with them to let them walk slowly (oh-so-slowly) down the sidewalk. I might not have been patient enough. Life was in many ways a blur back then, and I remember usually being consumed with my housewife's to do list. Laundry? Bathrooms? Vacuuming? Who has time to walk slowly behind a 13-month-old?
Or, my fear of the future may leave me paralyzed in the present. Am I doing enough to keep myself healthy? Exercising hard enough? Often enough? I don't want to die young - I want to see my kids happy & settled. Maybe hold some grandbabies. Travel with my wonderful husband. Have enough saved to live comfortably. But, how will I know what tomorrow will bring?
As Sarah so wonderfully states, our Father is not limited by time or space. I need not fear the future, for he is already there. When I make the quantum leap into eternity (wonderful, yes - but scary! What will this be like??) he will be there waiting for me. My future is in his hands - he just releases it to me one day at a time.
Do not be worried about tomorrow.
Live today in abundance. Don't be distracted by concerns of the future - leave all that to God! The past? That's God's, too. Make the conscious choice to enjoy today.
Karin
Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own
John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
James 4:13-15
Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Mom, I love how transparent you are in your writing. Just know though- when it comes to us kids- there should be NO worry or regret about the past. Look at all of us! What a loving and gracious mom we must've had growing up to turn out the way we did! Love you so much!
ReplyDeleteThank you Kris - love you so.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful entry, Mom! Echoing what Kristin said, you're so honest and it's completely refreshing. We love you so much and thank you for being the mom that you are. lbh :)
ReplyDelete:) Katie T!!! <3!
ReplyDelete