
The results of self-pity can often feel like quicksand...
This entry really spoke to me because I love becoming more aware of my 'undercover sins.' These are what I consider to be the insignificant mishaps- but in all reality they are the most dangerous BECAUSE they hover so under the radar. I remember a friend of mine (Hi Kacie!) sending me a passage from the devil's point of view of discouragement and how tactfully he uses discouragement to bring us away from God without any of us even realizing it.
I feel self-pity is in the same category. Entitlement is an ugly thing (as Tiger Woods might now tell you) and a sense of "I deserve more" or "I don't deserve this" immediately follows the road of self-pity. And common to almost every other theme in this book so far-- feeling a sense of entitlement is EXACTLY what this world teaches us and EXACTLY the opposite way we're called to live as followers of Christ.
Whenever I get challenged to my core with these themes like self-pity, I try to think of what actions or circumstances that frequently lead me astray. The first step to conquering the evil one is often just being AWARE of where he's trying to 'get' me.
He is incredibly crafty and his most affective battle technique is his subtle nature. "You deserve this, you are more than entitled to that, keep feeling sorry for yourself and you'll eventually get your way," are all just little lies that he's commonly told me. But I won't fall into that pit. I won't give into those lies, and I WON'T believe- no matter how many times the world tries to convince me- that life is better lived FOR myself.
You are who I live for, Lord. Everyday of my life. Protect me from these lies and lead me away from the pit of self-pity. I deserve nothing and you deserve it ALL. I love you. Amen

Beautifully and brilliantly written, Kristin! I love how you're so aware of the devil's workings and how he - like our Lord - is trying to get ideas in our head that should not be there. Love it! Nice job!! :)
ReplyDeleteLove you!