...for the very things that are troubling you.
Thanking God for things that are good isn't necessarily natural when we first begin to know Jesus. Yet, after awhile, we begin to discipline our minds, reminding ourselves that any and everything good comes from God. I even heard in a message one time when I was a lot younger that a woman used to just whisper to God "thank you, God" whenever something good would happen, even if it were just getting a good parking spot. I took that to heart when I was young and began doing it and it really helped me focus on God's goodness! God being good is fun! But this first sentence is like the advanced form of thankfulness. We DEFINITELY don't do this naturally, huh.
Yet, the second sentence is such wisdom from God, telling us why thanking Him in our troubles is CRUCIAL: "You are on the brink of rebellion, precariously close to shaking your fist in My Face." This is frighteningly true. Even Paul says it in Romans 7:15 ("I do not understand what I do..." etc.). I know that I get scared of this sometimes, falling into an attitude that draws me away from God. Especially an attitude as easy as complaining. Even though complaining is pretty socially accepted, we must remember as Christ followers that complaining is self-indulgent. It takes us away from God and makes us angry at Him, because we know He controls all things. We all know this is a devastating road to travel down.
Yet, we can't help but ask God, because thanking You for our trials does not come naturally, why do it? I think Sarah Young points us to two totally important, life-giving reasons with her writing and scripture.
1) As said, we are at risk of rebellion against God. We must be on guard! And, "The best protection against this indulgence is thankfulness." How awesome that the more we thank God, the more our hearts will be awakened to His Presence, and we will find peace in everything situation through our thankful prayers, prayed in faith.
And besides thankfulness acting as a shield, why does God deserve thankfulness for what is troubling us?
2) Psalm 116:16-17 -- "O Lord, truly I am Your servant; I am Your servant, the daughter of your maidservant; you have freed me from my chains. I will sacrifice a thank offering to You and call on the Name of the Lord." Despite what we are enduring day to day, God has set us FREE! FOR GOOD! Out of that truth comes an undeniable flow of thankfulness, underlying all of the events of our day to days.
Let's practice thanking God for our troubles and watch how He changes our hearts into more trusting, faithful, peaceful instruments for Him. With this, nothing can shake us. My, God is good!
Love you girls.
Jaym

jaymee i really liked how you started with "easy" thankfulness!! i always love reading what you write :) you are so right at how easily accepted complaining is, how easy it is to fall into it! and so also thank you for the little encouragement to be more aware of my complaints and turn them to thanks!
ReplyDeleteThis is so good. I am so in need of this kind of refresher on a multi-daily basis. Thanking God can be our shield- what an amazing truth!
ReplyDelete