Realizing how much the Lord loves us with the help of our daily devotional - Jesus Calling by Sarah Young

Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Need Your Help Today

help.jpg

Sarah writes of God: "I know everything about you, far more than you know of yourself. But I restrain my yearning to 'fix' you, waiting instead for you to come to Me for help. Imagine the divine restraint this requires, 
for I have all Power in heaven and on earth."


In an instant gratification society ("Why is this drive-thru line so long? I want this now...no, I need this now!") we, as humans, are not great at restraint. And, we know so little. About ourselves, about others, about the world.

Contrast this with God, who knows everything about us, others, the world - everything! - and instead of shoving this knowledge down our throats, he restrains Himself and waits for us to ask for His help.

Dear Lord, I need your help today. Please forgive my need to satisfy my urges immediately. Help me to see myself, others & the world through Your eyes. As You are restraint (perfected,) please help me to practice restraint. Amen.

Matthew 28:18
Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."


Psalm 100:4
Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Mom. JUST what I needed to read this morning. I think sometimes I forget about how instant gratification both rules and frustrates my life!

    God is sooo good to have this kind of restraint. He must just shake his head at me over and over, but it's okay because at the end of the day- HE'S GOD and I AM NOT. Thank goodness for that!

    Can't wait to see you!

    Love you

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom - I love how you bring such knowledge to things that are so over my head! God is so great and gentle with us. I was thinking about this last night; I remember reading in Jesus Calling a while ago that God made 24 hour days because he knew we wouldn't be able to handle more than that at one time! Our days are broken up by sleep and rest.

    What an amazing guy! :) love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Restraint- so simple a concept and so hard a reality! Thank you for your words, Karin! It really is amazing to have a God so patient with us and to know His time is always about making us more like Him. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN! I loved the line " Contrast this with God,- and instead of shoving this knowledge down our throats, he restrains Himself and waits for us to ask for His help."

    ReplyDelete