Realizing how much the Lord loves us with the help of our daily devotional - Jesus Calling by Sarah Young

Friday, June 25, 2010

June 24 & 25 Hands


Hold My Hand and then... Open Your Hands

I wanted to touch on both Thursday's and Friday's devos because it seemed to perfectly correspond with my faith's journey. Have you ever had a moment when you read something or heard something that you just weren't ready for yet? I read Friday's devotional first this morning and was impossibly bitter of all the thankfulness I was told to be feeling. I wasn't ready for it. I have a hard time disguising my true feelings from the ONE that knows me most- my Maker. And the way I make sense of my bitterness, my confusion, and my fears is to write to Him about it. My thoughts seamlessly turn into words that string together as sentences of truth- sometimes lovely, sometimes brutal. My journal and I have a special relationship because she is the unbreakable and unshakeable source that unites me with my creator. And my journal prayer this morning started with hands tightly gripping the promises I know are true and yet, beautifully weaved through my jumbled thoughts to come to an end with my hands open wide in praise.

June 24- The past two days have been busy. But they've also been hurried and worried.

"Don't be surprised by how easily you sin when you forget to cling to My hand." I neglected to take the time to be quiet before the Lord these past two days. No matter how much time I took to be still, these days would still be busy- but the hurried, worried life is not from God. I wanted to 'handle everything in my path those days. But Sarah Young is so good at reminding me that true maturity is found in all-out dependence on God.

May my hands cling to yours in ultimate dependence, God.

June 25- This morning the sun was hidden behind clouds when it rose (which almost never happens in the hot Arizona summers.) I want to be selfish for a second here and say that the clouds this morning were for me and my time with Jesus.

In this Friday morning entry, Sarah wrote of the sunrise God uses to announce His radiant presence. And if I was perfectly honest, I needed a few clouds to match my attitude this morning. Despite the grumpy mood, time with my God and revelation in my heart allowed me to end my quiet time with hands open wide in praise and worship. His sunrises ARE radiant, His power is incomparable and His love endures forever!

So what do our hands look like with God? I've settled on the picture that He gave us two for a reason. One to grip tightly to His mighty ways, and one to leave open for praise, worship and anticipation for Him.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Kris! You are always honest and genuine and I love learning from YOUR walk of faith.

    Hands open, what a posture of humility- not our will but yours be done, Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really enjoyed reading this from the kind of perspective as i could see how you have been feeling the past few days......and it's cool to be able to see that even though you may not have felt you took adequate time to be still and have open hands, it didn't matter because HE was gripping SO tightly onto you instead! :)...love you kris!

    ReplyDelete