Hopefully this will make sense to you later!
But, our generation of Christians have a tougher time picking out what may be an idol or not. I loved how Sarah wrote that current idols won't do any good because they bring about more lust than satisfaction. Ding! Ding! Ding! This sentence and entire entry in particular was an alarm bell for me.
How many times have I went shopping to get over a bad day then came home and remembered why I was upset before the money was wasted and felt sad again? That answer is a lot.
Some examples that I began thinking of don't exactly fit in my life right now but I believe definitely could if I'm not careful - such as, climbing the corporate ladder. This can be so much of an obsession for people that they don't realize they're worshiping the idea of that top level office.
Status is one that Sarah Young mentioned - when some of us maybe think that this new phone will make us happy. Then the next iPhone comes out and THAT one will make us happy now. It's a viscous circle of being the coolest or most current person to your friends and colleagues.
Then God put a thought in my mind, as he always does when our heads begin getting too big :)
I realized that for almost as long as I can remember I've been idolizing the idea of being a wife and mother. I kept (probably keep) looking to the future and thinking, "Man, if I can only get THERE, then I'll be happy." If I have learned one thing from our time with this blog and Jesus Calling it's that God wants us to live through today without worrying about the future or worshiping the idea of it. I'm starting to realize that patience is one of the most difficult traits you need to be a Christian. It is a necessity though! God is so in control of our lives that we need to let go of the reins and let him lead our lives. He knows what he's doing. I just need to keep reminding myself of that :)
Sorry it was so long - LOVE YOU GIRLS!

I love this! You are amazing, sweet Katie & very transparent. We all need to take today as today, and think about tomorrow, tomorrow. But, it definitely is easier said than done.
ReplyDeleteAnd, now I get the horse thing! Letting go of the reins...also hard to do.
Love you, my Kate & love all you girls!
Wow, Katie. It brings tears to my eyes to think of my sister growing in her love and knowledge of the Lord, soooo much.
ReplyDeleteI am beyond grateful to know you and have you as my one, dear sister for LIFE.
Thanks for your words, your constant encouragement and LIFE that you live.
Can't wait to see you.
Love you,
Kris
Katie Kates,
ReplyDeleteLove your honesty and the way you have thought through idolatry! I, too, have always idolized the idea of being a wife and mother- I think I still do to be honest- and there is truly a constant tension to wrestle with good things versus God things! I am here with you to pray as we wrestle together! Love you lots!
-Katie
katie i love your long entries :)...and I completely agree that patience is a hard trait, but DEFINITELY needed in being a Christian example!
ReplyDelete